How to eat out minus the guilt
Dining out doesn’t have to mean derailing your diet. Scroll down to see our top tips to eating out without straying from your healthy habits, along with the healthy restaurants we’re loving in Dubai.
Water bottle, AED170, Lululemon, visit Mall of the Emirates
• Steer clear of sugary drinks and keep your refillable water bottle on hand instead. Often your body can trick you into thinking you’re hungry when you’re actually just dehydrated, so fill up on plenty of the clear stuff before, during and after your meal.
• When it comes to ordering, as a general rule of thumb, we say avoid anything carb-heavy, fried, cheese-laden or with the word “super-sized” in it. We usually find vegetarian or vegan dishes to be the healthiest options, but if you fancy protein, opt for lean turkey, chicken or fish to keep things light.
• If you’re struggling to find healthy items on a menu, ask your waiter for guidance, as they’ll often help steer you towards the best option. Don’t be shy to find out how the dish is prepared or cooked – if it’s fried in butter you’ll know to ask for it steamed or grilled instead. Many restaurants will also let you substitute items, for example, brown rice instead of white or veggies over French fries.
Fitbit Inspire Heart Rate Lilac, AED499, available at Carrefour Supermarket and Sharaf DG, visit Mall of the Emirates
• Invest in a FitBit to track your daily steps – if only to see just how much walking it takes to burn off what you consume. It’ll make ordering that slice of cake much less appealing.
• Have willpower when it comes to the breadbasket. Not only will it rack up empty calories, but mindlessly munching your way through starchy rolls will likely ruin your appetite leaving you with less space for a more nutritious option.
Two healthy restaurants to try in Dubai
Load up on the super healthy veggie bowls at Common Grounds, in Mall of the Emirates
Nestled away in a quiet corner of the mall, this cool little café is well-loved by fitness fans thanks to its healthy menu filled with superfood salads, vegetable bowls, wraps, tacos and soups.
Healthy menu picks: Acai Bowl, Veggie Green Tacos and Vegan Rice Wraps.
A local institution, this popular foodie spot serves up home-style plates of delicious international favourites.
Healthy menu picks: Spinach and Roasted Pumpkin Salad and Mediterranean Sea Bream.