• Majid Al Futtaim Properties launches biggest CSR campaign in the healthcare sector • 10 Shopping Malls across four countries join forces to support American Heart Association’s global campaign, ‘Go Red for Women’: • In partnership with Government Authorities, leading hospitals and non-profit organisations
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 22 May 2013: Following the success of Deira City Centre’s ‘Go Red for Women’ campaign over the past three years, Majid Al Futtaim Properties strengthens support for movement against heart disease. This year the campaign will extend further by including all Majid Al Futtaim Properties’ shopping malls in the region, making it the company’s biggest CSR campaign towards community health awareness. Participating malls include Mall of the Emirates, Deira City Centre and Mirdif City Centre in Dubai; Ajman City Centre and Sharjah City Centre in the Northern Emirates; and City Centres in Bahrain, Egypt and Oman. Medical professionals will conduct complimentary heart health check-ups for women over three weekends in the month of May at designated locations in each mall.
At designated areas within each mall, heart health testing for blood pressure, blood sugar, Body Mass Index (BMI), and cholesterol will be performed, as well as quick health tips for shoppers from partner organisations: Dubai Health Authority and Emirates Cardiac Society in the UAE; Ministry of Health, Oman Heart Association and Sultan Qaboos University in Oman; King Hamad University in Bahrain; and Egypt Heart Society in Egypt. Also sponsoring the campaign in the UAE is Zulekha Hospital and Pfizer Pharmaceutical by contributing important equipment needed to conduct testing.
‘Go Red for Women,’ founded by the American Heart Association in 2004, is supported annually by more than 30 countries worldwide. With the tagline, ‘This is not a red dress. It is a red alert,’ the campaign aims to raise awareness about the importance of prevention, diagnosis, and control of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in women.
“Part of the company ethos is taking the broader community needs into account, which encapsulates the region-wide campaign against heart diseases amongst women. In line with our vision to become a market leader in the development, ownership and management of shopping and leisure destinations, we believe that humanitarian causes such as ‘Go Red for Women’ create shared value and contribute to business success,” said Hussain Moosa, Associate Director for Majid Al Futtaim Properties. “Majid Al Futtaim Properties urges the
community to support this philanthropic activity and together, let us spread awareness on CVD and fight the number one killer of women worldwide.”
Collaborating with Majid Al Futtaim Properties’ shopping malls in Dubai, Dr. Nooshin Mohamad consultant cardiologist in Dubai Hospital and board member of Emirates Cardiac society, said: “Heart disease and stroke kill more women each year than cancer, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and malaria combined. At present, a huge percentage of women are aware that heart disease is the biggest culprit that causes deaths of women in the world, but only few believe it to be their biggest threat to life. ‘Go Red for Women’ is a platform that could finally debunk the tightly-held myths out there that it is a man’s disease and educate women about heart health risks.”
Women are invited to visit a mall and get tested.
- 17-18 May Muscat City Center, Oman 5 pm – 9 pm
- 23-24 May Bahrain City Centre, Bahrain 12 pm – 8 pm
- 24-25 May Qurum City Centre, Oman 5 pm – 9 pm
- 24-25 May Deira City Centre, UAE 10 am – 7 pm
- 24-25 May Mall of the Emirates, UAE 10 am – 7 pm
- 24-25 May Ajman City Centre, UAE 10 am – 7 pm
- 26-27 May Maadi City Centre, Egypt 10 am – 9 pm
- 28-29 May Alexandria City Centre, Egypt 10 am – 9 pm
- 31 May-1 June Mirdif City Centre, UAE 10 am – 7 pm
- 31 May-1 June Sharjah City Centre 10 am – 7 pm
For more information on Go Red for Women visit: http://www.goredforwomen.org/